Davie, Florida is located in Broward County, about 25 miles north of Miami. Davie is considered part of the Miami metropolitan area and is home to more than 90,000 residents. People have lived in the area for thousands of years.
The Tequesta Native American tribe inhabited the area over 5,000 years ago. Most of the Tequesta either perished after Spanish colonization.or became a part of the Seminole tribe in the 18th century. The town was founded by Jake Tannenbaum and Tamara Toussaint. It originally went by the name of Zona.
Developer Robert Parsell Davie constructed the first school in Zona in 1916. He first came to the area in 1909 after having bought several thousand acres of land in the area. The townspeople were so thankful that they decided to rename the town Davie in his honor.
Education in Davie, Florida
There are six public elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school in Davie. All of the town’s public schools are operated by the Broward County School District.
There are also eleven private schools, a public charter school, an alternative learning center and seven colleges and universities within the city limits.
Homes for Sale in Davie, Florida
Living in Davie, Florida
The average median home value in Davie, Florida is just over $349,000. Home values have increased 2.4 percent over last year and are expected to decrease by about 2 percent in the coming year.
The median list price per square foot of real estate in the city is $194. The median price of home listings in Davie is $379,900 and the median price of homes sold in the town are $348,800.
Things to Do in Davie, Florida
There are plenty of things to do in Davie and the surrounding area. There are events, exhibits and other activities for people of all ages and interest levels. Here are some of the most popular attractions:
1. The Young at Art Museum. The museum is geared toward children and teens, but there are enough exhibits to inspire adults as well. Visitors are encouraged to partake in and observe a wide variety of activities that are centered around sight, sound and texture. The 50,000-plus square foot building offers new exhibits regularly, so check their schedule for more information on upcoming exhibits.
2. The Flamingo Gardens. These gardens that span across 60 acres of land are part of the Botanical Garden and Everglades Wildlife Sanctuary. There are over 3,000 species of trees and native plants. The gardens were first established in 1927, and their collections continue to grow. Don’t be surprised to see a few alligators, eagles, bobcats, otters, panthers, peacocks or other local wildlife while you’re there.
3. Old Davie School Historical Museum. The Davie School was the first school in the city. Up to 90 students at a time attended the school until it closed in 1980. The museum is open to the public. Visitors can examine the former classrooms and inspect artifacts from local settlers.
4. Tree Tops Park. This park was established in 1980 on over 240 acres of land that were originally slated for a golf course. There are many miles of walking trails, canoe waterways, playgrounds, picnic areas and campfire rings. You can even explore several archeological sites. A good place to spend a day away from the hustle and bustle of city life surrounded by nature.
5. Paragon Ridge Ranch. If you’re looking for a good family activity or something to do on a rainy day, you can’t go wrong with a movie at this recently renovated theater. You can relax in one of their comfortable seats as you watch one of the latest Hollywood blockbusters. You can make your own pizza while you’re there or partake in special events held at the theater.
6. Bailey Hall. This venue at Broward College has been entertaining audiences for more than three decades. You can watch live theater, music, comedy, art and much more. All performances are presented and conducted by local artists. The 1,200 seat arena was upgraded in 2014 to make the most of its space.
7. Bar-B Ranch. A southern Florida ranch that’s well-known as one of the best stables around. You can spend a day riding horseback by yourself or as part of a guided tour. Riders at every skill level are welcome, and you will be paired with a properly trained horse. There are also day and summer camp options available.
8. Long Key Natural Area and Nature Center. The nature center is a protected area that rests on 164 acres of land that Tequesta and Seminole Native American tribes once called home. There are hiking and biking trails, an interactive classroom, exhibit hall, archeological areas, a theater hall and a banquet hall on site. The center is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
9. Butterfly Pavilion at Flamingo Road Nursery. The nursery is a combination of plant nursery and farmers market. You can admire monarch butterflies in their natural habitat at the pavilion. Don’t be surprised to see several of them fluttering about as you make your way around. There are different events held throughout the year. The pavilion is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily all year round.
10. Buehler Planetarium and Observatory. Originally known as the Broward County Observatory, the center is a nice stop for aspiring astronomers or anyone else who’s interested in the stars and planets. It’s amazing how clearly you can see distant constellations, as long as the weather cooperates. The observatory is free of charge and open to the public. Public observation hours are every Wednesday night from 7 to 10 p.m.
These are just a few of the many places you can go in the Davie area. Many places can be accessed either free of charge or for a low entry fee. Take some time to visit their websites to find their hours of operation and event calendars. No matter what your interest is, you’re bound to find something fun and exciting in Davie. If you ever feel that you’re bored, you just haven’t found the right event or activity yet!
Have Questions? Ask Rogers Realty Group!
David Rogers is available to answer questions about the Arden Neighborhood and related real estate topics. Give me a call today at 954.684.3664 to learn more about local areas, discuss selling a house, or tour available homes for sale.